Tuesday, June 28, 2016

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan



The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
By: Rick Riordan

Published: June 2006
Published By: Listening Library
Format Read: Audio book, OverDrive
Genre: Middle-grade, Fantasy, Adventure
Date Read: June 4, 2016

Rating: 3/5




A year has passed since young Percy Jackson discovered that not only is he a demigod, but the son of Poseidon. After school lets out he returns to Camp Half-Blood, which is in a very different state than he left the first time around. A Golden Fleece must be found and brought back to the camp in order to save it from destruction. Also Percy's best friend Grover is being held captive by a Cyclops on an island in the Sea of Monsters. In Rick Riordan's sequel to the Olympian's series, Percy and his friends Annabeth and Tyson head out on a quest to rescue Grover and bring home the fleece.



In this instalment of the middle-grade adventure series, Percy is a year older and wiser than when readers were first introduced to him in The Lightning Thief. Incorporating tales of the mysterious Bermuda Triangle, Percy puts to use the special traits he inherited from his father the God of the sea.

I really enjoyed the way Percy used the abilities he didn't know he had. They came to him naturally, as if cementing the fact that he was indeed the son of Poseidon. I was touched by Percy's relationships with his friends, even though his loyalties were often put to the test.

Although my favourite character from the first book played a large role in the quest for this book, Grover wasn't as much of a prominent character. The parts that did focus on him, however were quite entertaining. In his absence a new character by the name of Tyson became my favourite. Where he lacked in brains he made up for in strength, heart and loyalty to Percy, which made him so endearing.

As with the first book, I listened to The Sea of Monsters in audio format. It was narrated once again by Jesse Bernstein. Unfortunately I am not a big fan of his narration of this series. Although I believe his impressions of the different characters voices may be more appealing to a younger audience.

For some reason I wasn't as excited and captivated by this book as I was with the first. I wonder if this was because of my annoyance with the narration and if my opinion would be different if I had read a physical copy.

Still I do plan to carry on with the third book as soon as possible and would recommend it to those who enjoy a fun adventure story.



(Click the link to see my review of the previous book in this series)

  1. The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)

No comments:

Post a Comment