Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Top 10 Tuesday: Top 10 Historical Settings I Love

Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by: The Broke and the Bookish
I was so excited when I saw that this weeks topic would be about historical settings. If you've visited my blog before, you will know that historical fiction is one of my favourite genres to read. Here is my list..

My Favourite Historical Settings

1. Canada during World War II

One of my all time favourites is The Guests of War Trilogy by Kit Pearson, it follows a young girl and her brother as they are sent away from war torn Britain and taken in by a Toronto woman and her daughter.


2. Canada during The Great Depression
Another favourite, also set in Toronto is Booky: A Trilogy by Bernice Thurman Hunter

3. Tudor England during the reign of King Henry VIII
 I first became interested in this time period after reading The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

4. 1960's civil rights era
Two books that chronicle this era in history include: The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd and The Help by Kathryn Stockett


5. Victorian England
Like in Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
  
6. The Holocaust 
Because it is important to remember those who lost their lives during this terrible time in history. See Surviving Hitler: A Boy in the Nazi Death Camps by Andrea Warren
7. The Russian Revolution and the fall of the Romanov's
See The Romanov Bride by Robert Alexander

8. England during World War II
See The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

9. The late 1800's- early 1900s Canada
Like in Anne of Green Gables Series by LM Montgomery

10. 1800's New York City

See Time and Again by Jack Finney


Do you enjoy reading from any of the historical settings I mentioned? Leave me a comment below and don't forget to leave your links, if you participated in this weeks TTT.  

7 comments:

  1. I love Tudor England too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/02/top-ten-tuesday-42/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to read more from this time period, throughout the year.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I'd like to read more books set in Canada, either modern or historical. I know a lot of people say the green Gables books gave them a love for the Prince Edward Island area and a desire t go there. the maritime provinces have always fascinated me for some reason- a mystery or even paranormal stuff set there would be really cool i would think.

    England during WWII and Victorian England I would agree with as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Maritimes are absolutely beautiful. I hope you get a chance to visit there someday.

      Thanks for stopping by Greg.

      Delete
  3. I’ve always wanted to read a Philippa Gregory book but I’m not too sure where to start. She has so many books out! I also enjoy books set in Victorian England. I realize I actually don’t read enough historical fiction even if I do actually enjoy those books. Anyway, you have a nice list of recommendations here ^^ Oh and I still haven't read the Anne books -_- It will happen this year though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be very overwhelming when an author has so many books released. My first Philippa Gregory book was The Other Boleyn Girl, which I didn't realize was the second book in The Tudor Court series. The first book The Constant Princess (which I have yet to read myself) would be a good place to start.
      So glad to hear you will be reading Anne of Green Gables this year! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it and hope that you love it.

      Delete
  4. Now that I think on it, the only Canadian historical fiction I've read is Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood which was set pre-1850, and Anne of Green Gables, which you listed. I'll have to check out some of your picks- I'm always looking for new reads (especially those that are set outside the U.S.). Like you, I love 1800s New York settings, and anything Victorian is also another favorite of mine.
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete