Thursday, September 24, 2015

My East Coast Summer Vacation Pt. 3 (Prince Edward Island)

Welcome back to My East Coast Summer Vacation Series, where I share the adventures from my trip through Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Click the links below to read parts 1 and 2.

Pt. 1: Quebec-New Brunswick
Pt. 2: New Brunswick-PEI

Our first (and only) full day on Prince Edward Island was dedicated to all things L.M. Montgomery. I was like a kid in a candy shop the whole day. Wide eyed and just trying to take as much in as I possibly could.

The first stop of the day was at the birthplace of one of Canada's most beloved authors: Lucy Maud Montgomery.

Birthplace of L.M. Montgomery, New London PEI
Located in the Cavendish region of Prince Edward Island, this house has been turned into a small museum. It is open to visitors from mid-May until Thanksgiving.

Visitors are given the background on the house and her early days living there, then are free to wander around the rooms which are set up as it would have been during that time period.


This museum is a must see for fans of the author. They also sell many of her books there including her published journals.

Next on our tour was The Anne of Green Gables Museum, located at Park Corner PEI. This was the home of L.M. Montgomery's Uncle John and Aunt Annie Campbell.





 This museum features the house set in period style with a very large gift shop, a walking trail, barn, gardens and Matthew's carriage rides.


Inside visitors can see the very room in which Lucy Maud married "Ewan" Macdonald in 1911. The cabinet in the picture above was the inspiration for the part in Anne of Green Gables, where she talks to the little girl in the glass.

My favourite part of this stop was the beautiful grounds and the famous Lake of Shining Waters!
Unfortunately we weren't able to go on Matthew's carriage ride as we were pressed for time.

That's all for this post, as it is running very long. In my next installment I will wrap up our day touring Cavendish.


Sources:
http://www.lmmontgomerybirthplace.ca/
 http://www.annemuseum.com/index.php


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Lucky you for visiting the L.M. Montgomery and Anne museums. I've yet to actually read the book but I'm thinking of getting a copy around Christmas time. I can imagine how excited you must have been to visit these places. Thanks for delighting us with these photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope that you get a chance to read Anne of Green Gables, it is such a beautiful book and series. I'd love to hear what you think of it, if you do.

      Delete