Monday, March 9, 2015

Ice: A Memoir of Gangster Life and Redemtion-from South Central to Hollywood by Ice-T and Douglas Century

Image from Goodreads

Title: Ice: A Memoir of Gangster Life and Redemption-from South Central to Hollywood
Author: Ice-T and Douglas Century
First Published: April 2011
Published By: One World/ Ballantine
Format Read: eBook, Kobo
Genre: Non-fiction, Memoir, Biography
Read: March 9 2015
Rating: 4/5



In Ice: A Memoir of Gangster Life and Redemption-from South Central to Hollywood by Ice-T, readers learn how he became an early rap icon, originator of gangsta rap and now a television star. We follow his time in the army and return to crime before he would go on to pursue a career in music. His rapping would take him out of South Central and all over the world, touring and promoting. His lyrics about life on the streets and violence were quite controversial and ground breaking in both content and profanity.

I can’t recall when I first heard of Ice-T. As a listener of Top 40 radio, I can say that it wasn’t his music that put him on my radar, because as he mentions in the book he wasn’t successful due to airplay. Perhaps it was just one of those names that everyone has heard of, due in part to him being a trail blazer in his genre. I remember seeing a biography on television about Ice, a few years ago. With that and seeing episodes of his reality show Ice Loves Coco, I knew part of his story. I went into the book knowing that he became a father at a young age, he spent time in the army and of course there is his wife Coco. I’m also a fan of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, where he plays the role of a detective. However after reading this memoir, I have a whole new respect for the man. Although he knew the crimes he committed in his younger years, were wrong he proved he could rise above his upbringing and make a better life for himself. Despite his superior in the army telling him that he wouldn’t make it. The points he brings up in his memoir are really quite wise. I wish I could have listened to it in audio format because I think it would have been even more enjoyable hearing Ice read it himself. Although I do admit that as I read along it was his voice that was playing in my head.

I love reading about history and how things and people get their start. Ice takes his readers back to the beginning of rap music and the culture surrounding it. We learn about how this west coast rapper would go on to make a name for himself in the New York scene and rise beyond it. He also gives a glimpse into his personal life sharing pictures.

My rating for Ice: A Memoir is 4 stars out of 5, as I couldn’t put it down. However I wish that he would have given a better timeline of the events in his life, by mentioning the year he was referring to. I would recommend this book not just to Ice-T fans, but to people who enjoy music history as well.

1 comment: